Name stems from the Earl of Chesterfield; originates form the middle of the 19th Century.
Elegant, perfect for an evening out, and also, in black or midnight blue, with Black Tie. It is for cold weather, of course.
- CUT: slim.
- COLOUR: dark grey or dark/midnight blue.
- SEAMS, FRONT DARTS: nil. Single breasted fly front only.
- VENTS: single back midline vent or no vent.
- LAPEL: notch lapel, short, no cape.
- COLLAR: a velvet collar is traditional, especially for evenings, but it is optional.
- CUFFS: none.
- POCKETS: straight horizontal jetted pockets; may have flaps in a slightly more casual version. Left breast pocket.
- LENGTH: knee-length or just below the knee.
- MATERIAL WEIGHT: quite heavy.