A shorter business-style overcoat of French origin in its style. At the beginning of the last century in Britain it was regarded as a top coat, as it is often lighter in
material. The colour is plain and dark; black is the most common one, but navy blue and dark gray are good too. A black paletot can be worn with black tie when the weather is
dry and not too cold.
- CUT: flat back, fitted or semi-fitted. No belt.
- DOUBLE BREASTED with 6x2 buttons; top buttons have a wider distance and remain unbuttoned..
- SEAMS, FRONT DARTS: no front seams; side seams are usually present.
- VENTS: No vents, except very short back ones.
- LAPELS: peaked lapels.
- POCKETS: flap or slip pockets, aligned with the middle buttons.
- LENGTH: above knee or just up to the knee.
- MATERIAL WEIGHT: not too heavy; it is originally more of a topcoat..